Does Your Ex Wish to Modify Your Current Child Custody Agreement? Make Sure You Know Your Rights!

October 15, 2020

Modification of Child Custody in New Jersey

The State of New Jersey generally encourages parents to settle custody agreements on their own, via parenting time mediation.  The same goes for modifications of that agreement.  However, if the parents cannot come up with a fair modification or one parent does not comply, they will need to file a motion for modification with the court.  This motion must include a significant change in circumstances that would make it necessary to modify the parents’ existing custody agreement.  These reasons should not be based on the emotions of either parent, but rather should be based on the best interests of the child.  The well-being and safety of the child is the one and only priority.

Often, the court will order that you and your ex seek mediation in order to modify your existing custody agreement.  If this is successful, the mediator will submit the terms of the new agreement to the court, and a new custody order will be issued.  If mediation is unsuccessful, the judge will order you and your ex back for a second hearing, where the burden of proof will be on you to convince the court that the change in circumstances is detrimental to your child’s health and well-being. 

How The GC Law Firm Can Help

Our child custody attorneys are well-versed in custody agreements and motions for modification.  We will be by your side as you navigate these difficult circumstances and make sure you are treated fairly by the court.  Contact us today at (201)-488-1825, or through our website, for a free consultation!

Contact Us

Leave us a message

250 Moonachie Rd, Ste. 200, Moonachie, NJ.

(201) 488-1825

2 Park Avenue - 20th Floor New York, NY 10016

(212) 878-6699

Powered by: