Surcharges are fines assessed by MVC on an annual basis for drivers who have earned excessive points or committed a specific violation such as DUI. Surcharges are in addition to any court fines/penalties. If you have received a notice in the mail or discovered there is a lien on your property because of a surcharge, please call (609) 292-7500 for more information.
How to pay your surcharges
There are several ways of paying your surchage:
- Go to www.njsurcharge.com
- Visit an MVC Regional Service Center
- Visit an MVC Agency offering walk-in service
- Call toll free at (888) 651-9999 to charge by credit card
- Send a check or money order payable to:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 4850
Trenton, NJ 08650
Why do you get surcharges?
Your record is reviewed every time points are added to it. If you accumulate six or more points within three years from your last posted violation, you will receive a $150 surcharge plus $25 for each additional point.
Additional surcharges may also apply:
- $100 for driving without a license
- $250 for driving with a suspended license
- $100 for failure to insure a moped
- $250 for operating an uninsured vehicle
- $1,000 for DUI, 3 years
- $1,000 for Refusal to take breathalyzer test, 3 years
If you do not pay your surcharges, MVC will suspend your driving privileges indefinitely and take action in the State Superior Court. This may include securing a lien against your property, garnishing your wages or other similar actions. Payment plans are available to MVC customers.
If you have surcharges that result from unpaid tickets or other unresolved legal issues, you will need to contact the court that is responsible for your case. For help determining which court you need to contact, call MVC Violations at (609) 292-7500.